6th, 7th, 8th GRADE PHYSICAL EDUCATION SYLLABUS
GUIDELINES AND EXPECTATIONS
Course Description: This class provides a continuation of skills in a variety of individual and team sports, and movement education. This class will focus on previously learned skills and lead-up concepts. It will also focus on physical fitness and cardiovascular conditioning by various skill testing methods, instruments, written tests, and adapted forms of assessment.
Course Content: Fitness (outdoor/indoor), Soccer, Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Hockey, Dance, Base Games, Frisbee Games, Lacrosse, Dance, Track/Field, Walking/Jogging,
Preparation: Students must wear comfortable school uniform clothing, sneakers that have laces or Velcro, and shorts under skirts and dresses. 1/2 point will be deducted from their grade for each day they are not prepared for class. Students who do not have the proper attire will participate in the walking club. Examples of Inappropriate Attire: Dress shoes, boots, sandals, tight clothing, jewelry…etc .
Participation: Participation and being prepared for class is a huge part of your Physical Education grade. We do not expect everyone to excel at every sport, skill, activity, or fitness test, but we do expect every student to give 100% at all times. 1-4 Points will be deducted per day for inadequate participation/lack of effort, unexcused Ab.
Attitude/Behavior: Full cooperation with class rules is expected! Anything less will result in grade deductions and/or disciplinary actions. Gymnasium, Playground, and Ball Field Rules were discussed with each class and are posted in the gym. 1/2 Point will be deducted per day for breaking any of the rules.
Skill/Knowledge Testing: There will be written and/or skill assessments for each unit. Demonstration of skills as well as knowledge of rules and terms pertaining to each sport/activity is required. Fitness testing will be graded on improvement of self, reaching personal fitness goals, and comparisons to national standards. (10% of final grade)
Immediate Administrative Discipline : Fighting, Insubordination, Sexual Harassment, Cursing, Bullying.
Miscellaneous Discipline: Improper Attire , Inadequate Participation, Lack of Effort, Phones, Electronics, Gum, Candy, Food, Sportsmanship, Disrespectful Attitude, Lateness, Classroom Procedures, & Following Directions.
PHYS – ED RULES: Grading Procedure:
- Enter/Exit Quietly and Orderly reporting to TEAM LINES!! Preparation: 10%
- Stop Immediately on Whistle. Participation: 80%
- Always Respect Teachers, Classmates, and Equipment. Behavior 10%
- Always follow School and P.E. Rules.
- Always do your Personal Best and give 100%!! Skill/Knowledge Testing 10%
Please feel free to contact us anytime through our emails listed below J
HEALTH 6, 7 & 8 – Course Overview
- Understanding your Health ACTIVITIES
- Skills for a Healthy Life
- Mental and Emotional Health Lecture / Note Taking
- Mental and Emotional Problems Work sheets
- Relationships: The Teen Years Journal Writing
- Promoting Social Health Tests / Quizzes
- Conflict Resolution Projects in class/at home
- Violence Prevention Role Playing
- Physical Activity and Fitness Research in Computer Lab
- Nutrition and Health Smart Board
- Your Body Image Homework
- Alcohol Speakers / Guests
- Personal Care and Consumer Choices
- Your Body Systems
- Growth and Development PROJECTS:
- Communicable Disease 6th……..Body Systems
- Non Communicable Diseases 7th……..Famous Citizen Project
- Safety and Emergencies 8th……..Egg-Parenting
- Environmental Health Family Planning
- Male and Female Reproductive Systems
- Marriage and Parenthood
- Pregnancy and Childbirth and Prevention
- STD’s and HIV / AIDS
GRADING CLASSROOM RULES:
- Worksheets Always stay in assigned seat
- Vocabulary One person may talk at a time
- Quizzes Always be prepared for class.
- Tests Always be considerate of others
- Project Hold yourself accountable
- Preparation Always stay on task
- Participation Always use appropriate words
- Homework / Class Work Never eat or drink in classroom
- Behavior Never use personal electronics
- Journal Obey all rules of a healthy classroom
CONSEQUENCES…DETENTION IN GYM /AE
CLASSROOM / COMPUTER ROOM RULES
- Enter/Exit Class Quietly and Orderly and report directly to assigned seat
- Begin do Now immediately and start worksheet
- All work must be completed in Health Class and graded.
- Absent- your responsibility to make up & hand in by end of marking period.
- Stay in assigned seat at all times
- Group Discussions- One person talks at a time.
- Group Work- Volume must be at an appropriate level or silence.
- Always stay on task
- Always be prepared for class
- Always be considerate of others
- Always hold yourself accountable for your actions
- Always use appropriate language
- Always keep your hands/body parts to yourself
- Never eat/drink ANYTHING in classroom.
- Never use electronics/phones/etc….during class
- No talking during quizzes/tests
- Modifications for Students to do lessons on computer
- Modifications for students to do lessons with a partner
- Modifications for students to do lessons on their own
- Always to your Personal Best and give 100%
Detention in Gym Class
Referred to Dr. T
Extra Help or Make-up Work: Wednesday after school